BWA Consulting
Ber Assessors Project Management
Home Energy Scheme
General Information
General Information

Who can avail of the scheme?
It is a National scheme and therefore all homeowners of dwellings built before 2006* may apply. Landlords and owners of multiple properties may also apply, however they must submit a separate application form for each property.

[*Homes built from 2006 onwards should have been constructed to the 2003 Building Regulations and so should not require significant insulation or heating system upgrades]

What type of work can you get a grant for?
Grants will be provided to homeowners who invest in energy efficiency improvements in the following area:

  • Roof Insulation
  • Wall Insulation - this includes either cavity wall, internal dry lining or external insulation
  • Replacement High Efficiency (> 90%) Gas or Oil fired Boilers with Heating Controls Upgrade*
  • Heating Controls Upgrade*
  • Building Energy Rating (BER) - you can get a grant for a BER if one is done before and after the works are completed

* Minimum requirement of: 2 zones (space and water) with 7 day programmer (time and temperature) control and boiler interlock, time and temperature control of electric immersion heater and either 1 more zone control or 3 TRV's.

How much are the grants?
Grants are fixed for each type of measure as indicated in the table below. Grant approval must be in place before any purchase of materials or commencement of measures undertaken. Grants are paid after the measures are completed and the contractor has been paid by the homeowner. In the instance where the cost of the work (vat inclusive) is less than the fixed grant amount, the actual cost will be reimbursed.

Roof Roof Insulation €250
Wall Cavity wall insulation €400
  Internal Wall Dry-Lining €2,500
  External wall insulation €4,000
Heating Controls High Efficiency Gas or Oil fired Boiler with Heating Controls Upgrade €700
  Heating Controls Upgrade €500
BER Assessment A Before works and an After works BER assessment €200

* Please note that while you are entitled to apply for each Measure there is a minimum requirement that the grant amount in the first application must be €500 or greater. The BER grant cannot form part of this €500 amount.

Who can do the work?
In accordance with the scheme's Terms and Conditions, all works must be completed by a contractor from SEI's Registered List, which will is published here on our website.

If undertaking a BER, these must be completed by a registered BER assessor. A list of registered assessors is available on the SEI website

How do you apply?

Applicants must first read the 'Home Energy Saving scheme Application Guide' for an overview of the scheme and to aid them thereafter in filling out the Scheme Application Form. You can apply online by filling out the online application form. Alternatively you can download the application form, complete it and return it to:

Home Energy Saving scheme
Sustainable Energy Ireland
Dublin 9

Applicants must ensure grant approval is received before proceeding with any product purchase or installation work.

Homeowners availing of the BER grant may undertake the Before BER ahead of grant approval being in place.

When can you get the work done?
In accordance with the scheme's Terms and Conditions, Grant Approval must be in place prior to any purchase of materials or commencement of works is undertaken. Since the scheme is not currently open for application you should not undertake any works yet. If you have already done so, then unfortunately you will not be eligible for a grant.

However, the Before BER can be done ahead of Grant Approval and could prove beneficial for homeowners who are uncertain about their options or what to get done first.

When might you NOT qualify for a Home Energy Saving scheme grant?

Depending on the scale or type of works being undertaken, the HES grant may not necessarily be appropriate for all homeowners.  Homeowners will not qualify for a grant:

  • If your first grant application would be for less than €500.  So if you are only intending to do attic insulation (€250) or blown cavity wall insulation (€400) on their own then you will not qualify for a grant
  • If you are only replacing your existing boiler with a typical efficiency boiler (<90% efficiency) then you will not qualify for a grant
  • If you decide to simply replace your boiler but not upgrade the heating controls to the minimum prescribed standard then you will not qualify for a grant
  • If you wish to get a grant for a Building Energy Rating (BER) then you must undertake a BER both before and after undertaking the appropriate grant aided measures.

Do you require planning permission for External wall insulation?

External insulation works to your home under the Home Energy Saving scheme may be exempted from the planning code. However, it should be noted that external insulation of a structure would constitute exempted development under Section 4(1) (h) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 only if it “constituted works which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures”.

If there is any doubt about whether or not the particular external insulation proposed  for your home will affect the character of the structure  as an SEI grant applicant you are  advised to  contact the planning authority in your area to clarify the matter.

Please note also that, in the case of protected structures, proposed protected structures, and buildings within Architectural Conservation Areas, the usual exemptions from the requirements of planning permission may not apply and the advice of the planning authority should always be obtained by you before carrying out any works.

Home Energy Scheme
Useful Links
Contact Us